Speakers and Other Session Participants
Thank you for being part of the 2018 AAAS Annual Meeting! This page is for session organizers, speakers, moderators, and other participants in the meeting program. Find important information to help you prepare for your presentation and get the most from your meeting experience.
Note: Computers in the session rooms are PCs and will be equipped with PowerPoint 2013 or 2016 and Adobe PDF Reader. If you intend to use a Mac for your presentation, please bring your computer and VGA/HDMI adapter to the session room to connect it directly. If you need technical assistance during your session and you don’t see an AV staff person (black shirts, AV badges), you may text 716-770-1336 and include your room location and type of assistance needed in the message.
Your presentation will look better on the screen with 16×9 presentation formatting.
- Preferred: Bring your presentation files on a USB drive to the Speaker Resources Room in the Austin Convention Center (Level 4, Room 11A), no later than 2 hours prior to your session start time so that AV staff can check them and upload them to your session room. Please include all files related to the presentation, including slides and audio and video files (if applicable).
*For early morning sessions, please bring your files to the Speaker Resources Room the afternoon before. For early afternoon sessions, please bring them in the morning.
- Bring your presentation files on a USB drive to your session room 30 minutes prior to your session start time. AV staff may not be able to check that all files work.
The Speaker Resources Room will be open each day of the meeting. You are welcome to review your presentation with technical staff to verify functionality and completeness.
SPEAKER RESOURCES ROOM
Austin Convention Center, Level 4
February 15-17 7:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
February 18 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
There will be coffee available for speakers at 7:00 a.m. each day, until it runs out.
If you have any questions or concerns about your files in advance of the AAAS Annual Meeting, please do not hesitate to contact BAV Services via email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-264-5010. Please include “AAAS presentation assistance” in your email subject line.
Speaker Tips and Free Advance One-on-One Consultations
The AAAS Annual Meeting draws an interdisciplinary science audience. While you are likely to have experts in your field attend your talk, you will also have scientists and students from other fields, as well as journalists and science communicators. AAAS recommends speakers check out these tips for ensuring your talk is a success, and the additional resources from the Communicating Science program. We also have quick suggestions for moderators.
This quick tutorial will provides a few tips to help you share scientific information with groups that may or may not be familiar with your work. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to CommunicatingScience@aaas.org.
There are also numerous opportunities for science communication training and discussion at the meeting. These include:
- Communicating Science Seminar
Thursday, February 15, 2018 from 9:00am – 3:30pm
- Share Your Science: Meeting attendees are encouraged to visit this booth in the Exhibit Hall between 12:00 – 5:00pm on Friday – Sunday, to record short videos (approximately two minutes long) about their work, scientific interests, community activities, or anything else they’d like to share. Staff are available to provide a brief consultation.
- AAAS Communication and Public Engagement Workshops at the Annual Meeting:
These workshops are based on the AAAS Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology’s Communicating Science Workshops, which have trained more than 5000 people at universities, meetings, and government agencies worldwide since 2008. Sign up when you register for the meeting.