Speakers and Other Session Participants
Thank you for being part of the 2019 AAAS Annual Meeting! This page is for session organizers, speakers, moderators, and other participants in the meeting program. Find important information to help you prepare for your presentation and get the most from your meeting experience.
Promote Your Session
Let your online followers and attendees who would be interested in your work know that you are presenting at the Annual Meeting!
- Remember to include the #AAASmtg hashtag on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook posts. The hashtag received over 800,000 impressions during the 2018 meeting.
- On Facebook, join the discussion on the AAAS Annual Meeting Event page.
Live-tweeting of scientific sessions is encouraged. If a meeting speaker does not wish to have their research shared on Twitter, Facebook, or other social networks, an announcement should be made before the presentation.
Hundreds of reporters cover the latest research and issues presented at the Annual Meeting. Consider contacting your institution’s public information officer (PIO) for help promoting your participation at the AAAS Annual Meeting. PIOs may issue news releases through EurekAlert!, the AAAS-operated news service and host of the AAAS Annual Meeting’s Online Newsroom.
Extend Attendee Outreach
If your institution wishes to further promote your work through sponsored activities, please contact email@example.com.
The AAAS Annual Meeting draws an interdisciplinary audience. While you are likely to have experts in your field attend your talk, you will also have scientists and students from other fields, as well as policymakers, journalists,mee and science communicators. Please be sensitive to ensuring that non-specialists will be able to follow your presentation.
So that you can present your materials in a clear and compelling way, we provide these tips for ensuring your talk is a success:
Courtesy of AAAS Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology
AAAS also offers speakers free access to an expert communication consultant in advance of the meeting. From January 16 to February 7, AAAS presentation coaches are available for virtual meetings to help you strengthen your presentation style, organization, graphics, and delivery. If interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register no later than January 12. Space is limited.
Speaker Ready Room
Onsite, please bring your presentation on a USB drive prior to your talk. You are welcome to review it with technical staff to verify functionality and completeness.
Speaker Ready Room will be located in the McKinley room in the Marriott Wardman Park
- Thursday, February 14
- 11:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 15
- 7:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 16
- 7:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, February 17
- 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Looking for other opportunities for exposure at the Annual Meeting?
- Sci-Mic Stage: AAAS is extending a special invitation to science podcasters to interview participants about their work and their expertise. There will be a space in the Expo where these interviews can be seen by a live audience, in-person and on social media. Speakers interested in being on our list of available scientists for podcast recordings should send a message to email@example.com with their name and research focus.
- AAAS Family Science Days is a free public science event that offers an array of hands-on family and child-friendly activities. This event takes place on Saturday, February 16 and Sunday, February 17 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Annual Meeting. Come check it out to see the next generation engaging with science. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in some way.
AAAS provides the following equipment in each session room:*
(1) LCD projector and screen
(1) head table for three
(1) podium microphone
(1) table microphone for the panel to share
*Note: some Career Workshop presentations have an alternative set up.
You will receive a separate email from Experient with a personalized link to register and make your hotel reservations. If you have not received this email, please send a note to email@example.com.
If you have speakers to add to your session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, professional title, address, telephone number, and email. They will be able to register the Tuesday after they have been added to the system.
Special AAAS hotel rates are available through AAAS Annual Meeting registration for hotel reservations made through January 22, 2019. You are encouraged to make your reservation as soon as possible, as rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and may sell out prior to the deadline. Do not contact the hotels directly to make your reservation. The discounted rates are available only through meeting registration.
In general, aaas.org/meetings is a good resource for questions about the AAAS Annual Meeting. However, if you need additional information, please feel free to contact us by emailing email@example.com